Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Epic and Grand Favorite Movie Ranking Attempt

I have been keeping a list of my favorite movies for about six years now. I started as a freshman in high school and worked my way up to 100 by the end of junior year. Then I edited it down to 63. By August of 2008, I worked my way back up to 100, and then chiseled it to a measly 55. Certainly, this shows how much my, ahem, distinguished film taste has changed in those six years. But along with this list, I have struggled with ranking my favorites. I mean, it would be difficult if I'm constantly editing and adding to it. So, now, on September 10, 2008, I am forcing myself to get serious with my list and explore each film with tenderness and depth and nitpick at the reasons just why a certain film makes the list.

I have tried to do this before. Numerous times. I've started alphabetically. I've started chronologically. But somewhere near the middle, I lose steam. And by then, usually four or five new movies have been added. To keep such monstrosities from occurring this time, I have a set of rules:

  1. All of the films on my list (which are also listed alphabetically in the right hand column) are to be listed on small pieces of paper, put in a cup, and chosen at random.
  2. I am not allowed to watch any of the films on my list until it is chosen from The Cup.
  3. One film must be chosen and watched in its entirety every day until all films have been chosen. (This means all 238 minutes of Gone With the Wind in one epic sitting).
  4. The film watched on Day 1 will be blogged about on Day 2. The film from Day 2 will be blogged about on Day 3...and so on and so forth.
  5. All films will be ranked after viewing.
  6. No new films may be added to the list until after the ranking is over, however, movies may be added to the "Contention List."
Hopefully with these strict guidelines, shit will get done and I will finally have a ranking I feel confident about. Rules are subject to change if I encounter any unforseen problems.

So, without further adieu, I will draw my VERY FIRST FILM...hold on...swishing around the papers...okay, got one...here it is...

SHREK
Tune in tomorrow for the enlightening review of film number 1.

No comments: