Saturday, January 23, 2010

Top 5 Simpsons Episodes of Season 3

Season 3 is when it starts to get good. Many Simpsons fans consider this season to be the best. I’m not one of them. I think the show continues to mature in later seasons. Wouldn’t that be kind of depressing if Season 3 was the end all and be all? Don’t get me wrong, I love these episodes. I spent my childhood watching these in syndication ad nauseum. I’m still not sick of ‘em. So, here is the long awaited list of my Top 5 Simpsons Episodes of Season 3.

Rank: 5
Episode: Radio Bart (3-13)
Synopsis: Bart uses a microphone to trick Springfield into thinking a little boy fell down a well, and then later falls down it himself.

Comments: So, Bart is kind of a little shit. If I ever reproduce, I pray that I'm not bestowed with a child like him. Of course, that would be just my luck. And hopefully years of watching The Simpsons would equip me for such an atrocity. Anyway, this is one of my favorite Bart episodes because it shows several sides of his personality, such as being a little shit...and being proud of it. I love when he's trapped in the well and he mourns never being able to "smoke a cigarette or shave a dirty word in his hair." So Bart isn't Timmy O'Toole and thank God because I wouldn't like him and I don't think America would have liked him either. Plus the plot is ironic and irony is always good.


Quote: "I called my good friend Sting. He said, "Krusty, when do you need me?" I said, "Thursday." He said, "I'm busy Thursday." I said, "What about Friday?" He said, "Friday's worse than Thursday. Then he said, "How about Saturday?" I said, "Fine." True story!" - Krusty the Klown.
Rank: 4
Episode: Homer Alone (3-15)
Synopsis: Marge goes a on a mini vacation alone, leaving Homer with Maggie and Bart and Lisa with Patty and Selma.

Comments: I like this episode for the same reasons The Empire Strikes Back and The Two Towers are my favorite movies of their respective trilogies: I like that the story is split into three mini stories. First we have Marge who is exhausted from her life as a housewife and she takes solo vacation. All of her scenes are of relaxing, drinking tequila, and watching Thelma & Louise. Homer is home alone with Maggie and struggles to take care of her. She even escapes looking for her mother. And finally, Bart and Lisa are trapped at Patty and Selma's and you know how I love anything Patty and Selma. This isn't an episode that will go on the inevitable, definitive Top 100 lists that will pop up all over the internet whenever the show is canceled. "Marge vs. the Monorail" it is not. But it's one of my favorites.

Quote: Bart: "I'm scared, Lisa."
Lisa: "You think you know fear? Well, I've seen 'em naked!"
Bart: "Waaaauuuuuugh!"

Rank: 3
Episode: Black Widower (3-21)
Synopsis: A seemingly redeemed Sideshow Bob gets out of jail and proposes to Selma, although Bart is still suspicious.

Comments: My reasons for putting this one at number 3, are the same for putting "Krusty Gets Busted" on my Top 5 Episodes of Season 1. They're both good mysteries. Sideshow Bob is awesome. And it's always cool when a ten year old boy can foil an "evil genius". (I put evil genius in quotation marks because Sideshow Bob has never successfully executed one of his diabolical schemes...at least in the 10 episodes he's been featured in). That, and I love Selma's desperation to get married and procreate. (I miss those days, although I'm glad she has Ling now.

Quote: "Tonight on MacGyver...MacGyver...MACGYVER." - T.V. Announcer.

Rank: 2
Episode: Bart the Lover (3-16)
Synopsis: To get back at Mrs. Krabappel, Bart answers her personal ad with a fictitious lover.

Comments: Again, here's Bart being a little shit. This time he's playing with the emotions of a fragile, lonely divorcee because she, took his yoyo and gives him a month of detention. Anyway, this episode is a little pedophiliac...and depressing. But I like Mrs. Krapabbel and knowing her future relationship with Skinner makes it a little more okay. It does get better for her. Bart's letters to her are very good for a fourth grader. P.S. I love the swear jar B story.

Quote: "Maybe it's the beer talking Marge but you got a butt that won't quit. They got those big chewy pretzels here merJanthfgrr five dollars??!!!? Get outta here..." - Homer's postcard to Marge.

Rank: 1
Episode: Colonel Homer (3-20)
Synopsis: After a fight with Marge, Homer meets a beautiful aspiring country singer who sets her sights on him.

Comments: What is it with me and the romance episodes? I'm a little ashamed. (In future posts, it only gets worse). Part of the entertainment comes from Homer's total ignorance/denial of sexy Lurleen's interest in him. As far as the ladies go, Homer is no prize pig so of course he would remain oblivious. Marge probably assumes that no other woman would ever want him since he is so...um...unique. But when another woman comes along, Marge is ill-prepared to deal with competition.  She fails to make Homer realize the danger of the situation and also threatens Lurleen by pettily introducing herself as "Mrs. Homer Simpson." Of course, Marge wins in the end and Homer relinquishes his title as Lurleen's manager. One of the sexiest scenes of the series occurs when Homer slowly undresses as Lurleen sings "Stand By Your Manager."  Also, I love the music. Sorry to take the suspense out of a future post, but "Bunk With Me Tonight" is my favorite original Simpsons song. But you'll have to wait for said post to read why.

Quote: Marge: "All our money's tied up in the woman. If she fails, we're broke. If she succeeds, I have no husband. I don't know what to root for."
Patty: "You don't?"

No comments: