Sunday, June 20, 2010

Best Original Song - 1997

"Journey to the Past" from Anastasia sung by Liz Callaway

Movie Synopsis: The only surviving child of the Russian Royal Family hooks up with two con men while the undead Rasputin seeks her death

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Anya is on her way!
Is it pleasing to the ear? A-.


"How Do I Live" from Con-Air sung by LeAnn Rimes

Movie Synopsis: A newly released ex-con and former US Ranger finds himself trapped in a prisoner transport plane when the passengers seize control.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? N/A.
Is it important to the plot? N/A.
Is it pleasing to the ear? B+.


"Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting sung by Elliot Smith 

Movie Synopsis: Will Hunting, a janitor at MIT, has a gift for mathematics but needs help from a psychologist to find direction in his life. 

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? N/A. 
Is it important to the plot? N/A. 
Is it pleasing to the ear? C-. 

"I Can Go the Distance" from Hercules sung by Roger Bart 

Movie Synopsis:The son of the Greek Gods Zeus and Hera is stripped of his immortality as an infant and must become a true hero in order to reclaim it. 

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Yes.
Is it important to the plot? Hercules's "I want" song. 
Is it pleasing to the ear? A.


"My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic sung by Celine Dion

Movie Synopsis: A rich girl and poor boy who meet on the ill-fated voyage of the 'unsinkable' ship

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)?Just score and end credits.
Is it important to the plot? Rose will always love Jack despite their short amount of time together.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A.


So what won?
"My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic

What would I have voted for?
"I Can Go the Distance" from Hercules
I'm a little surprised myself.

Analysis
1997 is a great year. Four terrific songs and a late 90's half-assed angst ballad. (You can't win 'em all). Of course "My Heart Will Go On" won in the year of Titanic. I honestly believe if it weren't nominated (fat chance) then "I Can Go the Distance" would have won. It's more important to the film. "My Heart Will Go On" is just an end credits song. Face it. It is.

No comments: