Monday, March 15, 2010

Best Original Song - 2002

"Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile sung by Eminem.

Movie Synopsis: A young rapper, struggling with every aspect of his life, wants to make the most of what could be his final opportunity but his problems around gives him doubts.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I think just the end credits.
Is it important to the plot? I guess not.
Is it pleasing to the ear? B.


"I Move On" from Chicago sung by Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger

Movie Synopsis: Two murderesses find themselves on death row together and fight for the fame that will keep them from the gallows in 1920s Chicago.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? Just end credits. Total Oscar bait.
Is it important to the plot? Hell no.
Is it pleasing to the ear? A-.

"Burn it Blue" from Frida sung by Caetano Veloso and Lila Downs 

Movie Synopsis: A biography of artist Frida Kahlo, who channeled the pain of a crippling injury and her tempestuous marriage into her work.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't know.
Is it important to the plot? Still don't know.
Is it pleasing to the ear? D+.

"The Hands That Built America" from Gangs of New York sung by U2

Movie Synopsis: In 1863, Amsterdam Vallon returns to the Five Points area of New York City seeking revenge against Bill the Butcher, his father's killer.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't think so.
Is it important to the plot? Probably not.
Is it pleasing to the ear? C.

"Father and Daughter" from The Wild Thornberrys Movie sung by Paul Simon

Movie Synopsis: Three American roommates working in Italy wish for the man of their dreams after throwing coins into Rome's magnificent Trevi Fountain.

Does it appear in the movie (i.e. other than the end credits)? I don't know.
Is it important to the plot? Maybe.
Is it pleasing to the ear? C-.

So what won?
"Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile


What would I have voted for?
"Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile. Yes, I know I rated "I Move On" higher, but I just can't choose an Oscar bait song, especially from a musical. They're just greedy. Also, "Lose Yourself" is what I consider to be a real song, meaning it was popular and actually played on the radio. People liked it! People remember it! That's more than I can say about what won the Oscar in 2007. Can you remember? That's right. Didn't think you could. Also, when I think "Lose Yourself", I think 8 Mile and vice versa. That is was a BOS should be.


Analysis
2002 is officially the only year of the past decade where I completely agree with Oscar's choice. The rest of the songs are either pretentious (U2, cough, cough!) or forgettable and bloated (Burn it Blue). I really wish more popular songs would win...or be eligible I guess.

1 comment:

Andrew Testerman said...

Now hang on a sec! Lyrically, I would argue that "Lose Yourself" is about the movie. Granted, it's not important to the plot, but the song basically is the plot. Talk about his nervous first performance, how he's going to break out of the trailer park into fame, and the importance of the music to him makes it from the song into the movie.

At the very least, it sure is important to the trailer; the "would you capture it or just let it slip" part at the beginning is almost word for word at the beginning.