Monday, June 20, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 19

Day 19 - Your Guiltiest Guilty Pleasure Song

"How Many Licks?" - Lil' Kim feat. Sisqo, The Notorious K.I.M. (2000)

Admittedly, I like a lot of shitty music. A lot of shitty music I should probably feel guilty for for liking. However, I am not ashamed for owning the entire Carpenters discography or songs from Disney's direct-to-video shit-quels. My iTunes is chock-full of the inane, the insipid, and the incredibly awful. But no song embarasses me like Lil' Kim's epically graphic ode to cunnilingus, "How Many Licks?"

I don't like Rap/Hip Hop as a genre. Now, rapping as a vocalization is impressive and the beats are fine and good. My beef is how seriously Rap takes itself. Everyone's a little too up their own ass being "mother fucking P-I-M-P's" and such. This is why I love The Lonely Island and Weird Al's "White and Nerdy"; they take the genre down a a peg or two.

That being said, you can imagine why I'm embarassed to like "How Many Licks?", a song about Lil' Kim's "designer pussy". In truth, it's probably not any better thematically than Eminem's "Fack". But while "Fack" is an angry white boy man-child's twisted view of sex, "How Many Licks?" is like that of a 19-year-old who just discovered her sexuality. By no means is this my favorite song and I find myself laughing at it more than saying "right on, sista!", but I still like it in spite of its crudity.

No comments: