Friday, June 24, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 20

Day 20 - A Song You Love By an Artist You Don't

"Love the Way You Lie" - Eminem feat. Rihanna, Recovery (2010)

I think I've made it pretty clear that I don't like rap...so here's where I become a complete hypocrite and write about a rap song I like without shame. I first heard "Love the Way You Lie" during the MTV Video Music Awards and thought nothing of it (like so many songs I come to love). Then later that night, a few drinks in, my friend Amanda showed me the music video starring Dominic Monaghan and Megan Fox. I've always been a fan of cinematic videos and HOLY SHIT is this one good.

The song is about two people in a dysfunctional relation-shit who can't fuckin' live without one another, even though they know they are completely miserable. Eminem raps, Rihanna sings a haunting melodic chorus and by the end of the song, even you get their co-dependence. Even though I have never (thankfully) been in such a situation, I'm that much closer to understanding the mystical love-hate thang.

No comments: