Wednesday, August 10, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge - Day 23

Day 23 – A Movie You Walked Out Of/Straight-Up Stopped Watching


I have never walked out of a movie theatre. It's my policy to stay to the bitter end if I've put down the money to see that damn thing...or if someone else paid for my ticket, then I feel obligated out of guilt. There have been a few I would have liked to walk out of. (Battlefield Earth. Don't ask.) And then there have been a few awful movies that I probably couldn't have gotten through without booze, but there is only one that comes to mind that I haven't finished sober.


Meatballs (1979)


I liked camp. I went to camp when I was a child. I was a counselor when I was older. I read a lot of camp themed books, most of which were set in the late 70's and early 80's for some reason. Little Darlings (1980) (set at camp) is one of my favorite movies of all time. I also have a weakness for anything made between 1976 and 1982, so by all accounts, I should go bat shit crazy over "the best camp movie EVER", Meatballs.


Nope. I shut it off twenty minutes in.


Here's what you need to know: Bill Murray plays Tripper Harrison the leader of the CIT's (counselors-in-training) at Camp North Star. A sad  camper named Rudy (Chris Makepeace) is sad  at camp. Sad  music plays whenever Bill Murray talks to him. Hijinks happen. PG hijinks.


Okay, in Meatballs's defense, I watched it on a really shitty VHS tape from my video store. The tape needed to retire. It was fuzzy and buzzing and I couldn't really understand anything, but even so...I was freakin' bored! There was no real plot to follow. The characters were complete archetypes. Plus I don't like Bill Murray.




Love the clothes, though.


No comments: